The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection

A Brief History

In December of 1952, a request was made to the Diocese of Texas, that a congregation be started in what was the far north of Austin.  After the proper petitions were made, the first services were held in a storefront on Burnet Road. In 1953, the congregation was duly chartered, and became The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection. Property was purchased at 2008 Justin Lane and the current campus was begun.

The church continued to grow as a mission, until 1965, when it was accepted as a parish.  In the same year, women were admitted to service on Vestries, and Alice White became our first woman Senior Warden in 1976. During those years, the church began its mission of education and a day care center and school were established.  The church grew, and planned a new church building for worship. The cornerstone for the new building was laid in the spring of 1978, and the dedication of the new church building was on September 30, 1979.

Upon completion of the current church building, the youth of the church decided that they wanted a place of their own, and plans were made for the current youth building. It should be noted that 100% of the funds for the building were raised by the youth, through events – car washes, bake sales, donations. They worked hard to fund their own space, and the building was completed in 1981.

In 2011-2012 the congregation undertook another major campus makeover by correcting various drainage issues and constructing a new driveway with additional parking. New landscaping was added, opening the drive and campus view to Justin Lane

Over the years, the congregation has waxed and waned with the adjoining neighborhood. Now, with the revitalization of the Crestwood/Brentwood area, and with the arrival of our Vicar, Fr. Billy Tweedie, we are experiencing a welcomed revitalization at The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection. He is the tenth priest to lead the congregation. With new ideas and energy, we look forward to a vibrant future here, where children are now playing, but cattle no longer roam.